Grist to the Mill

07 May, 2007

SAMUEL PEPYS' DIARY

I haven't got time to read it properly (there's so much of it) so instead I read entries quite randomly. He's relatively interesting - maybe a seventeenth century Septuagenarian: flawed, repetitive, occasionally funny. Here's what he says about keeping his accounts in order, on 31st March 1666.

All the morning at the office busy. At noon to dinner, and thence to the office and did my business there as soon as I could, and then home and to my accounts, where very late at them, but, Lord! what a deale of do I have to understand any part of them, and in short do what I could, I could not come to any understanding of them, but after I had thoroughly wearied myself, I was forced to go to bed and leave them much against my will and vowe too, but I hope God will forgive me, for I have sat up these four nights till past twelve at night to master them, but cannot. This ends my month, with my head and mind mightly full and disquiett because of my accounts, which I have let go too long, and confounded my publique with my private that I cannot come into any liquidating of them.

| | |