Grist to the Mill

28 May, 2007

AT THE RIVER

Had a thirty minute walk along the river in the rain at the weekend. It was a nice and increasingly rare night out, and a fantastic walk to get there. It was evening on an extremely wet Sunday, so I didn't pass a soul on the way there. It was raining quite hard all the way, too, and the trees were low slung, so I kept dislodging water from them with my umbrella. Because there were so many trees growing densely along the riverbank, I was struck by how massive the leaves are on Horse Chestnut trees. They are really in their prime now. I think all of nature is, at this time of year. The leaves were lime-green coloured, and enormous:





Another nice thing to witness were the moorhens, swans, canada geese and other miscellaneous ducks. I know there's no need to illustrate my metaphors, but the internet makes it all possible, so:





At one point, there were two sets of mating pairs, with about ten cygnets apiece, just waddling about on the grassy bank, killing time. I'm sure this was because the river was so swollen and fast-flowing they didn't want their babies washed away. Not such nice weather for ducks, then.

| | |