Grist to the Mill

04 February, 2007

WAKING THE DEAD

The first two in the new series were terrible. Just awful. But they've been getting steadily better. Tonight's was particularly good, developing, somewhat inevitably, the conflict between Foley and Boyd. I love that counterpoint: Trevor Eve's aggressive, dynamic "take no prisoners" style of pursuing a line, and Sue Johnson's empathetic, intuitive and more probing, psychological approach. They are, of course, stereotypically gendered roles, but that doesn't matter.

More than anything else when I watch this show, I realise that I want that kind of job. Far too late for me, now, of course. But psychology with a proper practical application must be the prize for anyone who makes it that far, and the 'carrot' for the many thousands of psychology undergraduates. Tonight the Foley character yelled at Boyd which led to him pondering all sorts of pertinent questions about denial and repression. I'd love a job like that... that is, if they even exist, and are not the constructions of television commissioning editors.

| | |