Grist to the Mill

11 July, 2006

CLASSICS

Came by a GCSE 'Classical Civilization' paper. Incredibly, it runs to 55 pages! This is partly because the curriculum is pretty broad with lots of either/or units of study. And it's also because different translations must be acknowledged. Consider the following 'Euripides' extracts (from Hippolytus and Alcestis). At first I thought the text laid out like poetry was superior, but the more I compare it to the other, the less sure I am:

Well now, listen to me
All mortal men are bound to die - inevitably.
There's no man living who can confidently say -
Not one - that he will still be living the next day.
The road of chance leads on by a mysterious way;
It can't be taught, nor is it grasped by human skill.
So, now you've heard and profited from what I've said;
Well, then, cheer up and drink! Say to yourself, 'Today
My life's my own; tomorrow it belongs to Fortune,'
And there's another goddess too that you must honour:
The most delightful, charming Aphrodite. She
Is a sweet, lovely goddess. All these other cares
And griefs - forget them; just do as I say, if you
Agree that my advice is good - I think you do.
Come on! Away with this excessive melancholy;
Rise about circumstances; put a garland on
Your head; and join me in a cup of wine. The cure
For gloomy thoughts and knotted brows is the sweet splash
Of wine in a wine-cup - I'm sure of it. You know,
We're mortals, you and I; we should behave like mortals.
As for these solemn souls, these anxious worriers,
If you want my opinion, life for all that kind
Isn't life at all; it's one long calamity.
(Trans: VELLACOT).

Just listen to me. Death's a debt all men must pay; there's not a living soul knows for sure if tomorrow's morn will see him alive or dead. As to how fortune's plans will turn out, it's far from clear - no amount of teaching or practice can give you that knowledge. So heed my words and learn from me: be happy, drink, think each day your own as you live it and leave the rest to fortune. Give honour, too, to Cypris, kindest, sweetest of deities to mortal men; she is a gracious goddess. As to everything else, pay it no attention and do as I say, if you think I'm talking sense; I think I am. Let's have no more of this extravagant grief. Come and drink with me! I know just the thing to shake you out of this tense frame of mind, these frowning looks - sinking a good few cups of wine, that'll change your attitude! We're mortal men and ought to think mortal thoughts. Life for all you sour-faced enemies of pleasure, if you want my opinion, is not really life, it's a chapter of sorrows.
(Trans: Davie)

I think the Davie extract is better. Interesting that the content is the same in each case, yet expressed quite differently...

| | |