Grist to the Mill

26 January, 2006

SCHOOL PLACEMENT

I'm in School A and School B with the same trainee from the teacher-training course. This is a bit of a shame because she's frighteningly scatty. We've been put into the same schools for the simple reason that both schools are within easy reach of where we're living, and neither of us can drive. Incidentally, some of the spoilt rich girls (whose dads bought or gave them cars) complained about having to spend an hour each way driving to their placements. When one of them said sulkily, "Huh! Since when has driving been a disadvantage?" I could barely contain the schadenfreude I enjoyed at that moment.

The trainee I'm with is on medication for some kind of emotional difficulty... she's a sweet-natured girl but causes me to fluctuate between 'AAARRGH!' and 'awwww'. You could not ask for a more exasperating person to do a stressful course with. There's no malice at all (from either of us to the other) but nevertheless she's a challenge to be around for long periods. The medication appears to have attacked her short-term memory and causes her to miss and confuse key pieces of information, on a daily basis. She also confuses her words as though drunk or tired. She made me laugh today. On the way to a production of Macbeth I said, "I'm going to the loo first". She replied, "Yes, I could go with doing as well".

| | |