Grist to the Mill

18 January, 2006

BAD DREAM

I'm walking on the beach, close to the shoreline. Suddenly I become aware of a draught and I can hear a low roar. I look out to sea and there is a vast wave coming in. It hasn't begun to topple over yet and I realise it will only do so as it gets to the beach - not before. It is huge and sinister - a vast, powerful angry malevolent wall of a wave (it's distorted though - in 'real life' - even the most awesome tidal wave would not be like this).

I realise I'm done for. There seems no point in running - it's too close and about to topple and break at any second. I can't bear to look so I turn away from the horizon and look to the cliffs. I stand with my knees slightly bent; my elbows are also bent, so that my hands are behind my head at the top of my neck, holding my head. It's the 'brace' position you are told to assume in the event of an aeroplane crash-landing. I'm waiting for the noise to become deafening and the weight of water to come crashing down on my head. There's an awful inevitability about it and I know I won't survive. After a couple of minutes I wonder why it's taking so long. When I turn around to look, the wave has gone.

| | |