Grist to the Mill

06 November, 2005

CARS

I hate them and most things to do with them. They are nasty, selfish, pernicious, unethical machines that expose the lucky among us to a range of diseases (asthma, rhinitis, allergies, hayfever - anyone?), the environment to pollution and slow death, and the unlucky, sadly no longer among us, to being crushed, cut, burnt and maimed. I dislike the environmental destruction, the noise, the advertising, the car-as-status-symbol, the erosion of community – I could go on here. I’ve resisted so far, making do with a combination of taking the train, cycling, and not going to things I’d otherwise have liked to. However, after South West Trains ruined my day and left my plans for the weekend in tatters, I have just booked a course of driving lessons with BSI. Since the railways were privatised they have become a shambolic mess. Reading to Portsmouth is not a great distance. Less than halfway there I realised it was not even viable to continue and that I would miss the event I was travelling to. So I turned around and came back. I spent Saturday night feeling very pissed off and angry that I wasn’t where I wanted to be. So, although cars, roads, etc are immoral, they’re surely preferable to being fucked around by clapped out infrastructure, incompetent rail operators and Railtrack’s moronic, Neanderthal staff.

| | |