Grist to the Mill

18 October, 2005

MEMORY

Sometimes, just from time-to-time and in common with most people, I have trouble remembering things. It could be the time I arranged to meet someone, a remark made in passing, or the outcome of something.

Here is what Freud says on the matter. This appears in the introduction to a Pocket Penguin book ('Forgetting Things'). The italics are his - they appear in the text.

"I will therefore give an account of striking examples of forgetfulness, most of them observed in myself. I distinguish the forgetting of impressions and experiences, that is to say, things I have seen or done, from the forgetting of intentions, that is to say, omitting to do something. I will begin by stating the uniform result of a whole series of observations: in all cases the motive for forgetting something proved to be based on aversion."

Avoidance is a potent force...

| | |