Grist to the Mill

04 October, 2005

FIRST-PERSON NARRATIVE

First-person narratives are a lot of fun. Here's one I made earlier:

The two kids were pleading with us. They were desperate by then so I don’t think there were tears even though they were making this crying noise. They were saying “Please don’t kill us. Please don’t kill us. Please don’t. Don’t kill us. Please don’t kill us”. They were saying it over and over and over again. I could tell they were terrified – on their faces and in their whiny, whinging voices. It was completely doing my head in. I didn’t know what to do, to be honest. I looked at you but you were holding it together and you just gave me a nod. It was a nod, like, “Go ahead and do it”. I couldn’t bring myself to, though. It was a total nightmare. I didn’t want to. They were sounding like they were crying and they wouldn’t stop. I wasn’t feeling as sorry for them after a while because I just wanted them to shut up. I couldn't get my head together. “The more you talk to them, the harder it’s going to be”, you said, “So cut out the chat and get the fuck on with it”. I heard you say “going to be”, like it was inevitable. It stood out, that “going to be”. It was like, hearing that made me realise I was going to have to do it. Something changed then and I reckon that’s when I caved in. You wore me down cos you made it sound certain.

Don’t get me wrong, I only wanted it to end and they weren’t going to end it and neither were you so it was all down to me, as usual. I didn’t want to prolong it anymore so it seemed like the best thing for all of us. We’d been there for so many hours. Of course, I DIDN’T WANT TO DO IT.

I thought about running out and escaping all three of them but it would never have worked. He wanted them dead, not me. I mean to say, I didn't want them dead and he didn't want me dead. He wanted them dead, but he didn’t want to be the one that did it. Bastard. I was as trapped as they were. I suppose I must have been insane but if I was, it was him that drove me insane. They wouldn’t shut up and he wouldn’t make it all right. He held us all there and we couldn’t get out and they were doing all that begging and pleading.

I shut my eyes and tried not to listen to any of them. After I’d hit them as hard as I could... I think it was lumps of concrete or something in one of them canvas sacks... they went quiet. I felt sick because the rocks connected with their heads and they were both hard, you know, when they made contact. It was hard work. But when I hit them the first time and they went floppy it was easier to carry on. I didn’t want to think about what I was doing so I just kept swinging the rocks at their heads as fast as I could to get it over with. I suppose they were dead because they were quiet and they weren’t moving. I don't remember any screaming. I didn’t look at them, either - I suppose I must have blanked it all out. I hated every second of it and I suppose I must have been out of control but I was so glad they weren’t hysterical any more and I wanted him off my back. It was calmer after the first time I hit them and then when I’d finished I was relieved it was all over.

| | |