Grist to the Mill

06 September, 2005

THE FORTUNE TELLER

I put a dollar into a machine in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. A pirate with a patch over his eye dispensed a card with my fortune on it. It was a dollar well spent because it gave me a laugh. The fortune started out with great promise but by the end its message was considerably darker. I'm not at all sure it was the rosy prognosis I had hoped for. Here it is:

I see a great deal of happiness in store for you [so far, so good]. Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. So, if an object you ardently pursue brings little happiness when gained, remember most of our pleasures come from unexpected sources. [A bit of a mixed blessing, there then]. Share the good news when it arrives.
For happiness is like a sunbeam which the least shadow shall intercept, while suffering is as often as the rain of spring. Enjoy this day.

Hmmmm...

| | |