Grist to the Mill

13 May, 2005

Mobile Phone

Was foolish enough to take on a contract with a lesser-known mobile phone company because they had a competitive tariff. The tariff was why I defected – I don’t care about the handset/ringtones/etc. When I took on a 12 month contract they said I had to have a gimmicky toy phone that takes photographs and plays things in surround sound. They said I couldn’t have a normal one that sends and receives text messages and phone calls. So far, this handset has:

1) defaulted to Norwegian (its display panel)
2) prevented any called or calling party from hearing me – even though I could
hear the other party perfectly clearly.

When I phoned from a landline to get this sorted out, the woman said “It’s a very common problem with this handset”. For godssake! - It’s a phone! Phones are for talking! If this is a “common” occurrence, then I’d say it’s less "problem" and more "fatal flaw". If a commonplace gadget is frequently unable to perform the task for which it was designed, bin it and start again.

| | |