Grist to the Mill

04 December, 2004

THE MURDERERS

Halfway through the play, Macbeth hires a couple of hitmen to bump off Fleance and Banquo. By way of explantion for their involvement in the contract killing, the murderers offer up these lines:

I am one
Whom the vile blows and buffets of the world
Hath so incensed that I am reckless what I do
To spite the world.
And I another,
So weary with disasters, tugged with fortune,
That I would set my life on any chance
To mend it or be rid on't.

I'd imagine these words echoe the feelings of the man who recently parked his car on a level crossing in the path of a high-speed mainline train, killing himself and several others. Shakespeare, demonstrating that 'True artists have a democratic eye', is completely amazing - as much for psychological insight as astonishing language.

| | |