Grist to the Mill

18 December, 2004

DYLAN / EMINEM

Oops! Like somone 'up to no good', I was disturbed during my previous post. Here, then, is the final verse of Dylan's "All I Really Want To Do":

I don't want to fake you out,
Take or shake or forsake you out,
I ain't lookin' for you to feel like me,
See like me or be like me.
All I really want to do
Is, baby, be friends with you.

And here are the closing words to a large segment of "The Real Slim Shady". So far as I understand - and I'm no Eminem expert - this rap is about the awkwardness of Eminem's being adored and expected to give of himself (signing of autographs, being 'personable'), whilst simulateously being perceived as a bad-ass rebel who will guarantee shocks and bad behaviour.

And there's a million of us just like me
Who cuss like me; who just don't give a fuck like me
Who dress like me; walk, talk and act like me
And just might be the next best thing, but not quite me!

Before I started writing, I thought there was a passing similarity. Now that I've finished, I don't think so anymore. But, similar or not, they are two of the best and most accomplished lyricists. I wonder what each thinks of the other?

| | |