Grist to the Mill

14 October, 2004

OFFICES

The powers-that-be in the office where I currently work have given me a permanent contract. Which is a pleasant, unexpected surprise, although I don't think I'll be collecting the gold watch. The worst thing about admin/anything vaguely secretarial, is - without exception, it seems - the other secretaries. Fortunately, there's only one other seccy here in this office - I sit next to her and she's great.

The woman who's now gone on maternity leave was fond of telling us she was leaving early - ie before the rush hour, and that someone else would be making dinner. Hell, she may've got wind of this url as we shared the same computer for a while... Anyway, she once said, as she was going through the door at 3.55, "Think of me at 5.30 when you're leaving. I'll be home by then". To which the sharper and (in my opinion) more likeable woman said, quick as a flash (and in exactly the same spirit - ie without any real malice), "Well, when you're lying on your back screaming your head off having your baby, think of me. I'll be sipping a glass of wine. And then we'll see who's having the last laugh".

Fantastic.

| | |