Grist to the Mill

11 September, 2004

ANNIE HALL

It's so well-acted - although in Woody Allen's case you can tell he's not having to go too far with the Alvy character - very funny and the script is great. Here's the finale, which takes the form of a voiceover, spoken by Woody/Alvy:

... After that it got pretty late and we both had to go, but it was great seeing Annie again, right? I realised what a terrific person she was - and how much fun it was just knowing her and I thought of that old joke, y'know, this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy. He thinks he's a chicken". And the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?". And the guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs". Well, I guess that's pretty much how I feel about relationships. You know, they're totally irrational and crazy and absurd and... I guess we keep going through it because most of us need the eggs.

| | |