Grist to the Mill

24 July, 2004

CRONYISM

At Harrow School there are numerous references to Churchill (because he studied here). I'm currently teaching in one of the Economics classrooms where there are 'quotes' pasted all over the walls. Here's one of Churchill's pithier statements:

"Success is moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"

...which Peter Mandelson knows all about. If I hadn't lost all respect for Blair already, I'd do so now.

In October 1998, Tory spokesman Liam Fox said of Blair:

"It seems that he wants to have his close friends in positions of authority even more so than many of his senior cabinet colleagues. I think that is something that as democrats we should be concerned about.
The fact that this government is extraordinarily prone to cronyism is a tendency we see almost at every turn now."

*NB - this was said in '98 with reference to Lord Falconer!*

I don't normally "go political" but news of Mandelson's new job was a bit sickening.

| | |